18 February 2012

A Window in Time


I worked an 8-day week, so I planned out my weekend activities in order to take the best advantage of my time. Yesterday was spent hiking in a nearby wilderness area on the White Mesa Trail. It was a beautiful day and I really enjoyed taking in the sights and sounds of the trail: the clear creek bubbling through the canyon, the red rocks standing bold against the desert scrub, the dozens of robins chirping and fluttering through the junipers. I even chanced to taste a juniper berry - which at first was nice and sweet, but then started to taste like I was eating my grandma's "pine needle" candle, at which point I promptly spat it out. They're supposed to help if you've got a sensitive stomach, but I'd be impressed by anyone who could get them that far down the digestive system.

Today was the Buffalo Soldiers event at Fort Verde State Historic Park. Having researched and emailed and written all about the role and involvement of Black Civil War reenactors last semester, it was really neat to go to this event and see Black reenactors "at work", so to speak, and to talk with them about the history they portrayed and their own stories in relation to reenacting. I had a blast. I spent a better part of the day there, and got to eat a cheap-but-delicious meal from the Dutch oven cooking group - grits, corn bread, pork 'n' beans, and peach cobbler! Mmm!! When it's all said and done, I'd say it was a pretty successful day.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a good time! Nice picture of you as a soldier? It looks like you're trying very hard not to smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet - I busted out a big smile as soon as they got done taking the picture! :)

    ReplyDelete