02 March 2017

When it rains, it pours

 We got a little bit of snow at the beginning of the year - or at least that's what I'm gonna call it. :) So glad that I got to experience this rare phenomenon in Crescent City before we move.
 I FINALLY found my dream thrift store item (actually it was at an antique shop): a stoneware mini loaf pan. This one makes 4 loaves, but I'm not complaining.
 I also finally finished my bear rug pattern (designed and knit by me) for my friend Lihi. The bear now lives happily on her cabin floors.
 Because I couldn't get enough of knitting, I also knit one shy of a dozen of these "pussyhats" for my friends (and my husband). So cute to have little ears like that! I only made one pink one, I suppose that's the rebel in me.
 We went to the opening bout for the season at Humboldt Roller Derby. This chick had a funny sign so I got my picture taken with her. It was a good match, although one of the long-time players busted her shin and had to get surgery. Yikes! It happened so fast, too. Reminds me to be grateful, that's for sure.
 The month of January I did an online 31-day yoga challenge (along with my mom and some of my friends in town). By the end, I was able to do this fun arm-balancing pose. Haven't been able to do it since... :)
 I also got into candle making this winter. I've been melting down beeswax and making tapers and pillars and really enjoying it.

 I joined 9 other ladies for a retreat up the North Fork of the Smith River. Fairly easy to get to, but amazing and "untouched" country. We were blessed with relatively mild weather, although it did rain the entire weekend.
 Jack and I went on a whirlwind trip to San Francisco. We went to see my first-ever professional musical performance. It was a quirky one called "Assassins" and it was absolutely amazing. I hope it is the first of many more professional musicals I get to see in my lifetime. :)
And after that (the previous two events and this happening in the space of 9 very busy days) I went up to house-sit at Lihi's cabin, where I was blanketed in beautiful, true, snow. Wood stove fires and fluffy flakes were my companions as I alternately chopped wood and read my latest homework book.

School has been busy, and I am about halfway through the semester already. Which reminds me that I need to pick my topic and submit it in about a week... better look into that. We are anxious about our upcoming move. Jack finally got the Lassen job officially, but now we are struggling to find suitable housing for both of us and there is a lot of stress in the house right now. We are also expecting two sets of houseguests and Jack is preparing for entering the Humboldt Homebrew competition for the first time (which is forcing him to learn a lot of things he isn't familiar with about kegs and carbonation, etc.). We just hope that amidst all of this, we're making the right decisions for the present and for our future. Hopefully everything falls into place in the next few weeks.

In the meantime, the rain continues after two sunny days, and we're ready for it!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment