28 July 2017

My first backpacking adventure (in 3 years!!!)


How many snow plants do you see?
Photos from my first backpacking trip of the season - and first backpacking trip since 2014!!! Woah! It went pretty well, and I'm very sore today, but glad I went out and got to experience all of this beauty!

Gilia, possibly Valerian in the middle, and Wooly Mule's Ears (the big green fuzzy ones) in a meadow

I hiked up to Boulder Lake after work on Wednesday and got to see some beautiful end-of-the-day lighting on the surrounding peaks - some of which still had snow on them!


My campsite 
Nude buckwheat - one of my favorite flowers, it was all around my campsite
Boulder Lake (and a mystery white water flower of some sort)
Boulder Lake - a very warm lake for swimming, even at 7 o'clock in the morning!
Mountain Bluebells - aka Sierra Spinach! Very good munching...

The second day I hiked down from the lake and started up the other end of the trail towards Clark Fork Meadow. I had lunch at a beautiful waterfall vista.

Sierra Penstamon (a first for me!) and one of my favorites: the Mariposa Lily
I saw LOTS of Mariposa Lilies around, so I had to sort out a lot of unnecessary pictures. But suffice it to say that in the Bodie Hills I was used to seeing a solitary Mariposa Lily amidst the desert brush, but here I was seeing them all over and in groups of half a dozen or more! Amazing!
Mariposa Lily and Sky Lupine

Alpine Lily - redder an more erect flowers than the Leopard Lily of which I'm so fond
There were plenty of stream crossings, each its own little oasis of abundant green growth - flowers and otherwise. I saw some, like the Alpine Lily, that I may have misidentified before, and saw some that were totally new to me!
Lewis' Monkeyflower
I was below the area known as St. Mary's Pass - some beautiful peaks up there
Unfortunately, the trail disappeared not long after the waterfall. This is where I decided to turn around - can you see the trail?
The Clark Fork
Thinking I had maybe gone too far from the river, I moved towards it, and found this beautiful cascade. Unfortunately, I also found that I got cliffed out and had to change out of my hiking skirt and into my hiking pants, take off my jewelry, and get serious. After hiking up and over numerous boulders like the ones you see across the river, I finally made it back to the trail (or at least the last place where I knew that I was) at this amazing campsite.
A Splendid Campsite with a Great View



Of course, one of the perks of being off-trail is you get to take a panoramic photo like this one and know that the chances of someone else standing in the exact same spot and taking a photo are very slim.

I began the hike back and saw many more beautiful things, because of course: I'm in the backcountry!

A real treat: close, open a little, close, open all the way! The California Tortoiseshell Butterfly - pretty sure I've not seen this one before, and that bright orange was astounding!
A very inviting meadow across the Clark Fork
A Corn Lily in full bloom!
Small Larkspur
The biggest, reddest Snow Plant ever!!!
Scarlet Gilia
Anderson's Thistle
From top to bottom: Horse Mint, Alpine Daisies, and an Aspen sapling
These orange flowers were closed when I came back down the trail, so I may never know what they really are. My best guess is Alpine Pyrrocoma

A vista towards the trailhead
Another new favorite: Grand Collomia! 

Someone trying out their new axe? Not sure what was up with this tree, but it didn't look that way on the hike in...

California Coneflower - not sure if it has the same properties as the Purple Coneflower/Echinacea
I was really feeling the love on this hike... 💚
My new favorite from the last hike - Checker Bloom!
Back to the trailhead: the Iceberg standing above Iceberg Meadow
Overall it was great to get out. I didn't end up staying two nights - not finding Clark Fork Meadow had me feeling like I may as well just hike all the way back out. I went somewhere around 12.5 to 13 miles over the course of two days, 4.2 of that happening on day 1. I didn't feel too bad yesterday, but this morning I am so sore! I guess I really am starting to get older... and it probably doesn't help that I haven't done anything quite like this in a few years!!! I guess the only remedy is... more backpacking!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment