10 April 2013

Open and Shut

The Boquillas Crossing Port of Entry officially opened today. C'est la vie. I purposefully missed the opening ceremonies by attending a fire refresher in PJ - I knew that if I went I would just feel bad that I wasn't a part of it. Instead I learned a little bit about what's required to be a wildland firefighter, met some friends for lunch at the Chisos Basin Lodge, and rode my bike all the way back home again. I stopped at the POE on the way and walked down there (without my passport) just to see what was going on. It seemed pretty busy, but I couldn't say that the NPS personnel were really doing anything.

My not-really-doing-anything job ended on Friday. Saturday I participated in the Highland Games (which I will hopefully get some better pictures of later... don't worry, a post on the event is forthcoming). Sunday I hosted a House Cooling Shindig. Monday I packed and cleaned and moved out of my house. Now my things are either in George's garage, my car, or Alyssa's house (where I'm staying for the next week or so). Travel plans have bounced around like rubber balls for the last few weeks, but I think I've finally got some semblance of a game plan for myself, I've just got to work out the logistics.

I found a trailer! I'll post pictures once it's actually mine, but I've made arrangements with someone on craigslist to pick up a nice little vintage trailer on my way through Las Vegas... more on that later - like when it's actually mine and has a name and all that jazz. But hopefully it'll be a good space of my own to live out of while I'm at Bodie this year. I'll be starting work there the 1st of May! That's two weeks earlier than expected, which cuts into my travel time, but will hopefully allow me to get a paycheck a bit sooner than I otherwise would. We'll see. There's going to be several newbies working this year, so I'm curious what the season will bring. More on my goals for the season later, however, as I'm going to have plenty of time to make more blog posts on specific things in the coming days.

For now, I'm enjoying some time off. Yesterday I biked Boquillas Canyon road with Alyssa, hand-biked to the campground to chat with Amy, napped on my bed with Roadie, looked at cool organic earrings online, drove up to PJ for yoga and chatted with the Chino Court Crew, drove home and hand-biked to the campground to chat with Jane, watched an episode of History Detectives on PBS.org, chatted with Alyssa when she got home from work, rinsed off in the shower, and went to bed! Talk about a productive day.

Tomorrow or the next day I might go to Mexico. I've got at least one more painting (maybe two) that I want to do before my time here is up. I start taking care of George's dogs again tomorrow morning, and I have every intention of walking them at least once a day. It's breezy and cool down here - a perfect day for bicycling - but now I definitely need to go take a shower.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment