07 May 2013

A big hug to the cold!

Last night I experienced something I don't think I've ever seen before: Thunder Snow!

And this morning, when I woke up, I was pleased to see that it was still snowing big fluffy flakes outside. In fact, I made a snowman on the bench outside the museum before the park opened. It was on and off snowing for most of the day, with the exception of the parts where it got warm enough to rain. But mostly it was the beautiful white stuff, coming down from the heavens. Oh how I missed it this winter!
Thanks to Eric or Tyler or both of them, I've got a nice new stack of wood outside my house, which I started bringing in after work and I've got a cozy little fire going in the wood stove. It never ceases to amaze me how those things will heat up a room with just a few pieces of wood and some flame. Thinking back to my first season here, I've come a long way in my wood stove skills! I think one of my favorite things about the cold is being able to feel cozy and warm in it, and the wood stove (plus my holey knit slippers and my mohair/wool knit blanket) certainly helps that.
Of course, by the end of the day it was much warmed up and the streets were looking completely clear. But now that I've got the fire going, it's decided to snow again out there. But I don't really mind that the weather can't make up its mind. I'm perfectly content to be in here with my little stove and my forthcoming cup of hot cocoa on a cold day.

2 comments:

  1. It's nice that you can enjoy a bit of winter, even if it is May! How are your new mittens working out? Did they pass inspection?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With flying colors! (or lack thereof) ;)

    ReplyDelete