10 May 2013

A familiar place

The harsh fragrance of the bitter brush - rabbit brush - fills my nostrils, wreathed with the hint of warm pine and desert sage. Birds call, the sun is shining - though not too warmly - and I can't help but feel content.

I'm back at Mark and Lynn's house, tucked up against the mountains on the edge of Antelope Valley - no, not Lancaster, the other one. The one that has the little towns of Walker, Coleville, and Topaz nestled within it. The expansive view is dotted with trees and cows, flat pastures and rolling foothills into the mountains beyond. It's here that I spent multiple weekends "getting away" last summer, and I feel almost as comfortable as if it were my own home. Funny that I've only been in here with its owners  maybe once or twice, compared to the several nights I have spent here on my own.

I've performed most of the settle-in actions, now. I've nearly unpacked all my things in my room at Bodie, and will probably put up my decorations this week. I set up my p.o. box in Bridgeport, and even got a library card. (By the way, if you want to mail me something, my current address is P.O. Box 442, Bridgeport, CA 93517.) I made a few phone calls and bought a sandwich from Albert's, with every intention of being back there on my way back from grocery-getting tomorrow to pick up some deli-sliced meat and cheese for sandwiches. I miss eating meat and cheese sandwiches, and I think it would do me good to add them to the diet once more - at least every so often.

That's about it for now. I think I'm going to go read some of those books that I got from the library while there is still daylight left.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment