12 August 2013

Post-FOB Pass-out

Well, we've survived Friends of Bodie Day once more, and in my opinion it went down pretty well. For those who haven't heard it yet, I did have the privilege of singing the National Anthem to open the parade on FOB Day:
It went alright, I suppose.

The park still seems to be busy, though I can't say for sure since I've been on my days off, and will be until Wednesday. I've slept in both mornings so far, and yesterday evening Betty and I stayed up late and laid out under the stars to watch the Perseids. Bodie is a pretty spectacular viewpoint for the annual meteor shower - in fact, I think the only thing Big Bend has on Bodie for Perseids-viewing is the fact that if I were watching them from my blacktop driveway in Big Bend I would be warm, and in Bodie I was bundled up and still quite chilly.

Evening temperatures continue to drop into the 20s here, and Autumn is definitely on its way. Our first park aide left for the season, and as time goes on there will be more to follow. Hopefully visitation will start to taper off a bit, too, though I wouldn't mind if it stayed busy for a couple more weeks, at least. Betty will be going back to San Francisco to do her tutoring thing and it'll just be John and me in the house once more.

I've decided to sort through my iPhoto library this weekend (or at least get a good start) and after going through 15 events I have put 800 photos in the trash. I'm going to wait 'til I get through all of them before I delete them, so I've got a final count. :) Mostly what I'm getting rid of is duplicates or really blurry shots of ???, but there's a few of people I don't know (or don't know anymore) and other random things that I feel I really don't need. It's very fulfilling. Betty thought my monologue while I was working on it this morning was so hilarious, she set up a camera and recorded it. I promised to do a goofy youtube video montage from the footage in the next couple weeks.

Tonight is the annual Bodie Luau, and I've got a coconut cream pie waiting for whipped cream in the fridge. Tomorrow Betty and I are going to go to town and play one last round of pool before she heads out to the big city once more. Now we're on the downhill side of the season, and I have to say it's a bit bittersweet. But as always, I am looking forward to my favorite season: Fall.

1 comment:

  1. Really miss the Bodie persiads...last year was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete