26 September 2016

Autumn Heat

I was up at 3 in the morning today. The moon and stars were beautiful outside. Got out of bed at half-past, finished packing, and hit the road by 4:30. It wasn't enough. 30 minutes later than I'd hoped, plus a 30-minute cat nap at a rest area around 7:30 and I had lost all my advantage. I drove through the first several construction zones with no or little delay, but I hit several big waits further down. By the time I got to Redding I was a full hour behind schedule. And the day was already getting hot.
Hot air, plus a hot truck with no air conditioning, with a poorly sealed clutch area that spews hot air on your legs as you drive. I tried to stop that last bit by wrapping a blanket around the gasket... it sorta worked. For awhile, at least. But the real deal-breaker was when I realized that my flouncy thin cotton skirt didn't make it into the bag. And I was in jeans. Talk about overheating.

Fifteen minutes north of Sacramento I messaged my cousin Amanda and asked if she would mind having me over. She is amazing and has always said yes and been the best host ever. This time was no exception. I really hope we can return the favor someday. Stockton was just another 1.25 hours of hot driving down the road. I stretched it to 2 hours with a quick run to Trader Joe's for some food (I never had a decent meal all day), and asked my cashier where the nearest thrift store was. In spite of scanty directions, I found it just a little ways down the street in the milieu of the city and walked in, found the skirts, found a cute, lightweight cotton skirt in my size, tried it on (just in case), wore it to the register, and purchased. It was half off. I was outta there in 5 minutes.
Now I'm enjoying the cool of Amanda and Jared's home. They're not here yet, but will be soon. The sociable cat is eying me from its perch; the scaredy cat I think I caught a glimpse of a little bit ago. I am sipping watered down limeade from Trader Joe's and have a pack of TJ's sushi in my belly. There's a salad in the fridge for later, and dark chocolate honey mints (my new favorite thing). Amanda said she's going to pick up some ice cream for us tonight. :) I think it's practically tradition that we have ice cream whenever I'm over here. Amy and I are gonna watch the presidential smackdown... I mean, debates... this evening and chill and catch up. Pretty sure it was roughly a year since I've been here. I'm curious to see how big Kyle is now!
Alright, I think I will go rinse off in the shower before Amanda gets home.

On my way up to see Jack for a week or so! I can hardly wait to see him! I'll be up in the mountains tomorrow and out of this heat, but I won't get to roll in my sweet baby's arms 'til Wednesday. I'm so looking forward to it, though, and I know he is too. Hopefully we both stay safe on those crazy mountain roads.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment