17 September 2016

It's been a summer

Well, I clearly haven't been keeping up on my blog, and I can very much blame that on Facebook. And life in general. I've certainly been busy. Between school and work and play, watching the first two seasons of Vikings online, plus binging on wasted hours of Facebook, I simply haven't found the time to post on this blog.

So now the end is near - the end of the summer season, that is. Weather has turned fall here - much more sunshine (although none at the moment that I'm typing this), the river has gotten much chillier, and the nights are cold enough that I'm only keeping one of the two bedroom windows open when I sleep. The elk are rutting and I hear them whistling while I lay in bed in the mornings and at night.

I have some travel plans coming up. First, I'll be going to visit Jack in Sequoia National Park - something we are both looking forward to very much. We'll also be going up to a wedding for our friends Ryan and Jenna, where we'll rub shoulders with a bunch of Bodie family for the weekend. I'm looking forward to that very much, and I'm sure Jack will play along. ;P

After I get back from Sequoia, I'll be readying for a trip to Arches National Park, where a friend of mine is working. I'm taking the train there, always a pleasure, and we'll spend the better part of two weeks hiking, biking, adventuring, and who-knows-what. I have been trying to workout more - hiking, endurance/strength training, etc., so that I'll be in-shape enough to keep up like old times. ;) I'm so looking forward to time with my adventure buddy, though! It's been too long!

Speaking of buddies: it took me a year and a half, but I finally have found a friend here in Crescent City. Her name is Lihi, she's from Israel, she lives off-the-grid in a beautiful A-frame on top of a mountain outside of town. She's down for adventure (although she's not the type to hike mad miles) and we do all sorts of fun stuff around the area. She's a real go-getter, carving a life out for herself and making ends meet with an amazing and inspiring tenacity. Just the sort of awesome friend I need.

Which throws a bit of a stick into the wheel of my train of thought from the last post. I have such mixed feelings about this place. I definitely feel that I am ready to finish my time at this park, but I am finally starting to find people and places that I like in this area, which makes it harder to just pack up and go. I think next year is going to be an experiment in carving my own way, and I have a few ideas of what that could mean, but I'm not positive yet. I have a feeling we'll at least be here for one more year, though, while I experiment some other ways to make up my part of our household income. Wish me luck!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment