03 January 2010

Another rapid entry!

It's so hard to get to this place, so I have come once again for another quick entry. I'm just going to highlight some of the things I underlined in my journal.

31 December
We went to the Slave Tree in Ndola, an over 200-year-old tree where slaves used to be bought and sold. Here Ba Charles told us a bit about the history of Zambia. While we were waiting (the bus wasn't available that day, and we were making two trips in the cars) Mama Margaret took us to the mattress factory up the street, which the owner/manager actually gave us an impromptu tour of! It's really neat to see how those are made, I'd never thought about what goes into it before - both foam and spring. That is the only spring mattress-making factory in Zambia, so pretty neat that we got to see it.
We also got to see the kids at the orphanage for the first time, which was really neat. We saw both the old orphanage, and the new one that we'll be helping them move into this week. My Toms are a bit more reddish in color, now. :)

I have to rush, it's past time and everyone is waiting for me. :/ So, let me just say that New Year's Eve was awesome, and I think everyone should go to dancing church parties to bring in the new year. :) My Bemba is improving, or at least my vocabulary is! I've purchased my first African outfits - two dresses for K250,000, or about $40. Crazy.

Well, I wish I could say more, but I really have to go. I hope you all are doing fine.

Until next time!

~Jaclynn

No comments:

Post a Comment