11 January 2010

From Ndola with Love (an entry that should be dated 30 December 2009)

Hello all!

We've made it! We're here! After toooo many hours on a plane, and not
enough sleep, we've finally arrived! We don't have too much time, so
I'm going to try and keep this as brief as possible.
So: four things to note about the flights. 1. I do not sleep well
after taking my malaria pill, and especially when I cannot achieve a
horizontal position. 2. My legs cannot stand to sit still for that
long. I've had RLS since about four hours into our first flight, and I
can only get it to stop by standing or lying down. Hopefully I'll be
100% over that in the next few days. 3. I got a blanket from
Continental and Kenyan Airways, and a good thing, because they're just
right for sleeping under in Ndola. 4. The first two flights had
televisions. Dad, I watched The Mentalist on my way to London, it was
an intense episode. Holly, you should know that Kenyan Airways' safety
video was dubbed in ASL. Awesome. I understood a decent amount of what
she was signing.

Ok, and just some quick things about here - more for later, but I've
got two minutes left. Mom, you would like to know this bit of
information that I learned today: Zambia is one of the most peaceful
countries in Africa, and many people from other countries actually
flee to here because it's known for its safety and peace.
We're using our Bemba, what little that we know, and picking up more
as we go, and the people love it. It's a fun language. :) I'm staying
with three other girls in a flat with Musonda, her baby Asia, and her
cousin Roy. I had my first experience sleeping under a mosquito net
last night. It was interesting. I also had my first bucket shower, I
just sat in the bucket (bring back any memories, Mom?) to clean
myself. It was fun, but I don't think I was very good at it. I'm sure
that I'll be an expert by the time I get back, though. You use so much
less water this way, and I'm considering doing that when I get back to
school. We'll see. Well, I should get going now. We wasted a lot of
time in the bank, so we're running out of time here. It's 4:13pm, and
I'm signing off. I hope this post finds you all well!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment