09 January 2010

On my way...

So, here's another brief entry, coming to you from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. We're currently waiting for our flight to London - have been waiting for quite some time now. We pulled into here at about 5:30pm Kenya time (4:30 pm for us coming from the CAT), and our flight doesn't leave until midnight tonight. :P Then it's nine hours to London, where we hopefully will be able to land and unload safely and quickly; then seven hours to Chicago, where we hope for the same. Long flights are tough, but I'm sleepy right now, so I'm thinking I'll be able to get some shut-eye on the Kenya->London flight, at least.

These two weeks have really just breezed by. I wish I would have been able to update a bit more often, but the time really wasn't there, and we really weren't in town very often. Regardless, I did a lot of journalling on my own, and I'll probably do several post-trip posts that will divulge some of what I wrote in my journal. I'm pretty proud, I used a fair amount of that thing in these two weeks.
I learned so much about Zambian culture, the Bemba language, and even how to cook Zamfood. It's been great, and delicious! Michael: I want you to know that not only did I try the fried catterpillars, I ate three of them, and some little chunks. :) Of course, whether or not I actually liked them is a completely different matter. ;) But I hope to make my friends and family a typical Zambian meal when I get back - I even bought the proper mwinko and pampa in order to do it!

I really, really, really enjoyed my time in Zambia, and I was sad to have to leave it so soon. I'm already trying to find a way to get back there. I was told so many times that I am a Zambian that it hurts to have to leave this place and go back to American culture, and speak English, and be on time for things, and be too busy. I'm hoping that if I learned anything from this trip, it is the idea of ubuntu - that people matter, more than things, more than television, more than facebook. People are what make this world go round, and it is the love of other people and love of Jesus that gives Zambians the amazing joy that they have.

Well, that's all for now. My $2 /10min is almost up, and I'd hate to go over. I need some money in case I should have to buy a snack or a drink or something in London.

Be back soon!

~Jaclynn

No comments:

Post a Comment