21 September 2013

Autumn is here!

Okay, so technically Autumn starts tomorrow, however, we've already had a successful test run of it here in Bodie! The low on Wednesday night was 14*, and the low on Thursday night was 21*. We've started running our faucets at night, and John (who is almost always hot) turned on the heater last night.

In preparation for my vacation, I have started a deep clean of the house as of yesterday - when I tidied and then moved all the furniture in the living room so I could vacuum everything (even the runner boards!) and also vacuumed the spare bedroom (since I've got a hypothetical house guest arriving after I get back from my vacation). On the list for the rest of the weekend are the bathroom, my bedroom, and the kitchen (where I will be trying my hand at mopping a greasy floor), as well as doing the laundry and my sheets and towels. Speaking of laundry, I recently finished my 66-load, 4x concentrated Seventh Generation Laundry Detergent and purchased, due to availability on vitacost.com and lower prices, Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Laundry Detergent, which does 68 loads, is also 4x concentrated, and takes up less space than the container of the Seventh Generation one I've been hauling around. In fact, it's about half the size! When you're nomadic and living out of your car, you really appreciate things like that. Not to mention that, so far (after having only washed my yoga mat with it), I seem to like the smell. There were lots to choose from, but I played it relatively safe and got the lavender, though I wonder what lemon verbena, bluebell, and sunflower all smell like. Perhaps in a year or two when I have cause to buy one again I'll try and locate a store that sells this stuff so I can pre-smell and pick a different scent.

Aside from cleaning, there's a regimen of packing and other small chores or activities that need to or I that I would like to get done before I go, like finishing the book I'm reading - Dead Pool - or clean up the things for the house that I offered to take after Eric found them all in the back of his storage shed here. I already cleaned up a beautiful glass gas-style lamp last night - the bottom, top, or both light up, and it's now the beautiful centerpiece of the living room, and easily brighter than any of the other lights we have in there. There's a GIANT lamp that showed up in the red barn that I think I'm going to snag today to put in the cave - since there's no nightstand in that room, a table lamp that's so big it doubles as a floor lamp seems rather fitting. We'll see if I can't get it in there today.

Sunday, Jenna and Ryan will be going to church with me, and afterwards we're having dinner at the pastor's house, which should be fun. Monday I'm thinking of going for a nice bike ride, and the rest of the weekend will largely be devoted to cleaning, packing, and checking things off my to-do list. I'm also busy trying to set back my internal clock by waking up 15 minutes earlier every few days. This work week I set my alarm back to 5:45, and during my weekend I'll be setting it back to 5:30, then 5:15 for next week. The goal being that on Friday, I will be up early enough to start my work day at 6am and, taking only a half-hour lunch break, be off work by 4:30pm and out of here by 5pm at the latest, so that I can make the seven hour drive to Sequoia in a slightly-more-reasonable time frame.

So that's a lot of business over all. Nothing too exciting, but hopefully when I get back I'll have some good pictures/stories from my epic little vacation starting the end of next week. I'm thinking I probably won't bother to bring my computer along, so once I leave I'll be out of the e-loop until I return (a real vacation, if you ask me), and phone calls will be the best way to attempt to reach me. For now, I'm going to leave you with a picture I managed to obtain of my Botswana quilt on display at the annual Bridgeport Founder's Day Quilt Show:
Until next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment