11 December 2014

Storms

We've been having some strong weather lately. Check out this video I took after someone upwind kicked up a bunch of sand on the shore on Sunday.



In case you were wondering, yes, that's Jack's hat, and the video ends because I promptly took off running after it. Luckily it didn't get too far.

The irony of this all is that I finally have everything I need to go surfing - and now we've had a seemingly never-ending bout of bad weather. :P Naturally, bad weather = bad surf = no surfing for me. :( But at least now I'm ready to go when the waves are ready to have me! :)

I haven't minded the storms too much, actually. For one, I love weather like this, so that's fun. For another, although I don't feel sick, the fever I had last week seems to have left me with a runny nose and, starting yesterday, a bit of a cough. Yuck. So I have no problem cuddling up on the couch while the storms rage outside and I blow my brains out into every homemade hanky I can find.

It's crab season here, and Jack and I decided we ought to partake. We waited for the "fresh crab" sign to appear at the end of the street and then we bought ourselves a couple of crabs to take home and cook.

 Just kidding - they weren't actually alive, but they looked so much like they could be that it kinda creeped me out a little. I am definitely a novice when it comes to crab.  After cooking, it probably took me a good half hour or more to get all the meat out. One crab was definitely plenty to get full on, for me at least. Of course, I think I was a bit more in-depth on trying to get every last bit of meat out than Jack was.
Aside from that, I'm just taking it easy today, trying to get a good vitamin intake and drink plenty of water. I'd already had 64 oz. of water and two cups of tea before the halfway point. Now my goal is to drink another 64 oz. before bed tonight. I've taken myself off sugar as much as possible for the time being. This is tricky, as quite a bit of what I like to eat has added sugars. Especially chocolate. But I went so far as to use dried fig puree as a sweetener for my homemade granola yesterday, and it seemed to work out alright. I'm a little more concerned about how I'll handle cookies. Maybe I'll just make them with much less sugar. It's hard to make everything completely sugar free. And, of course, I have to wonder what people did before? I mean, really, have white people always had access to sugar cane? How did we sweeten things before then? Certainly not everyone was a beekeeper, so that's not it either. I have to think that either sweet was much more of a treat than it is today, or we had much more local ways of sweetening our foods.

Anyway, that's it for now. I submitted my first short story for small-time publication - we'll see if I hear anything back from them (they estimated mid-January). I'm trying to come up with a design idea for Knitty to publish (they pay well, plus it gets your other patterns a lot more traffic on Ravelry), and I've got a list of other freelance writer stuff to work on and try for and all that jazz. Plenty to keep me busy, that's for sure!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment