02 December 2014

Crafty


I've been busy in the craft world lately. My little big project took place over the last couple days. I got this idea that I'd like to make some little runes. I was gonna do the common viking ones, but Jack suggested I make my own runes with my own meanings. I thought about it, and decided that this was a good idea. And that the piece of wood I had selected wouldn't make the 24-odd runes in the viking alphabet, so I may as well make up my own and make them fewer!

Jack bought an old saw with a base and angle settings which I used to cut up the driftwood I had selected into twelve lovely pieces. Just a little sanding with some very coarse paper, and I was in the clear. They were pretty, like little wooden pebbles, but I decided to have a little more fun.

A lot of people paint the symbols on, or carve and then paint, but I wanted to be different. So I set up a natural dye operation. Hibiscus tea, the same mixed with cocoa powder, some black rice, dill weed, turmeric mixed with the hibiscus cocoa, and turmeric mixed with hibiscus tea. Add a little vinegar and some boiling water and what you've got are nearly half a dozen little dye baths! I went about dipping and soaking and soon had 11 naturally dyed wood pieces. One I left un-dyed just for the heck of it. Sitting damp on the paper they looked like a bunch of little chocolates. Jack was about ready to eat one when I showed them to him! :)
The next day, all dried and ready to go, Jack dug up his trusty dremel tool and I set about the carving. A short time later, I had them all completed!
Weasel, river, tree, friendship, vulture, tulip, leaf, mountain, love, moon, sun, and wolf!
They turned out super cute, and I'm very pleased with them. I'll have to make or find some sort of case to keep them in. But they turned out so lovely! I just can't get over it. There was a little bit of muckiness in the design on a couple, but overall I am quite pleased.

Yep, I've been pretty busy with the crafts. My sourdough experiment is going superbly! Here's a photo of the rolls I made for Thanksgiving. I made them ONLY with my starter - NO commercial yeast added! We're all out of bread again, so I'll probably be making some again in the next few days.

As for other activities, I now have a wetsuit and - after last week - a beautiful 7'6" surfboard! Once I take it out, I'll have to decide on a name for it. But until I do, it'll remain anonymous. I spent a good measure of time waxing my new board, and it's all ready to roll. Hopefully I'll get my hood, booties, and gloves sooner rather than later, because on a cooler day like today I don't think I'd want to be out there without! For now, I'll just have to keep practicing my style on Jack's homemade sheet board. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment