13 August 2015

Busybody

This is going to be a photo-driven post.
A single day's harvest that wen into a delicious (if not a bit too spicy for me) 5-serving meal.

My cherry tomatoes are scary big!

Seriously - look at their height in comparison with the size of the screen door! (I chopped a bunch off both my larger tomato plants after taking these photos.)
The miniature eggplant plant has the prettiest flowers...

... and produces the cutest little purple jewels!

Spinach seedling!

Arugula seedling! (I collected these seeds myself from the bolted stalks I tore up a few weeks ago, so I'm extra pleased to see them growing. Now if only the similarly collected cilantro would start to grow...)

A healthy carrot with very green roma tomatoes behind - these tomatoes just started to change color in the last 24 hours - there's hope for them to ripen yet!

Bok Choy "Toy Choy" sprout - I just planted these last week.

My Walla Walla Sweets had all gone limp, which literature says means they're ready to harvest... but sadly all very small. I pulled up a semi-limp cluster of red onions, too, but left the rest in the ground as that was clearly too early.

Cherry tomatoes from my garden, wilted greens from my CSA box, and bacon, nuts and cheese from the grocery store. Plus a blackberry dressing made from the cupful of blackberries I picked coming through to my side of the neighbor's fence. Yum!

One of my happiness project action items: surprise Jack. I decided this week that would be a poem, although he probably would prefer new bandanas like he asked for... I'll have to get those out to him next week, though. For all I know he'll get them at the same time, anyhow.

Another happiness project item: bake something every week. Today was a twist on the classic chocolate chip cookie recipe - I halved the sugars, swapped out 1/3 c of flour for coconut flour, swapped out the shortening for coconut oil, added a couple T of cocoa powder, 1/3 c of grated coconut, and 2/3 c of quick oats. The result is pure deliciousness and very satisfying.

My zucchini plant has produced many beautiful flowers this summer. Unfortunately every fruit has been snipped off by something or someone before it could reach anything close to maturity. :/ But I keep hoping! At least the winter squashes are putting on good little fruits.


Potato plants - in need of more dirt, which I unfortunately don't have at the moment. I will try to get some and cover them over again before they start to bloom. Beneath, you can see the tops of beet sprouts - so glad they came up this time!
Well that's all for now - I have to eat and bike to work!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment