24 August 2015

Chomp!!

That's the noise I heard coming through the open window in my bedroom just after I got out of bed this morning. I peaked through the blinds and saw and elk at my apple tree. Thinking fast, I threw on a dress (in case the beast would require me to go outside to scare it off), grabbed my camera, and opened my blinds...
She was startled. She started to leave on her own as I ran over to the sliding door in the kitchen, pulled aside the binds, and opened it. I stepped out onto the porch and snapped another picture as I yelled, "You trying to eat my apples!? Get out of here!"
I got a respectful trot out of her. She returned to the road. Had she come here before to eat the apples? Had past residents simply gawked and let her go on? At least she wasn't in my garden - Roosevelt Elk are so big that she could've merely stepped over our puny little fence.

My next door neighbor (whose house you can see in the background) has a nice tall ladder - the kind that opens up and balances itself - and said I could borrow it when he gets off work tomorrow so that I can pick my apples. I don't know whether she was eating apples from the ground or actually pulled one off the tree, but I think it's time to harvest anyway. I ate a fallen one the day before yesterday and it tasted ready. I think an elk in my yard eating my apples only strengthens my thought that these apples are ripe for the pickin'.

I think I know what I'll be canning this weekend: apple sauce, apple butter, apple jam....

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment