08 January 2011

Climbing Kgale Hill

This morning a bunch of us got up early and took the combis down to Game City to climb Kgale Hill (pronounced KAH-lee) that is located behind it. It's not a very big hill, and wasn't a very strenuous hike, but it felt really good. Today was the perfect day for it too: cooler, cloudy, and with a gentle pitter-patter of rain when we finished off the hike. The view from the top was astounding - you could see for miles, and the whole city of Gaborone was laid out before you in all its sprawl. Not to mention the reservoir, which looked stunningly beautiful from up there. We're talking about going up there again sometime with a picnic, and possibly paints and sketchpads. I didn't really get anything for sunburn today, so I suppose that my goofy hat is doing its job! :) Once we got to the bottom we were greeted by several baboons of various sizes, some of whom ignored us, some of whom glared at us, and some of whom mooned us. I have now officially seen baboons "in the wild" in the city, and have been mooned by a baboon.

Tonight is the "First Stoplight Party of the Year at Lizard Lounge" for the University students. I'm going to stay in, this time with the excuse that my money is running out and I don't know if my mastercard is going to work at the atm. Very valid. :) I think I may have found some people who aren't too keen on the party seen, but I'm not for sure. Still no sign of my roommate, but I have now met one of the girls in my common room named Mogi (MO-ghee). Tomorrow will be my first Sunday here, and I'm really not sure what I'm going to do. I don't really have the get-go to find a church all by myself, so I think I'm going to wait to do that until I can connect with some church-goers on campus. Aubra and I are planning on going to River Walk to try our mastercards together at the ATM and Barclay's and see what happens. Hopefully the results will be good. If not, I asked about getting an account in Botswana for the semester, and it doesn't seem like it'll be such a big deal. I'm thinking I might try to get Kevin to go with me if I have to though, because I was having a hard time understanding what the guy was telling me, and banking stuff is confusing enough to me already as it is.

Well, that's all for now. We're going to dinner in about fifteen minutes, so I should finish uploading pictures and whatnot. For photos from today's hike, click here. And for video of the top, click here and here. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures Jaclynn! And I loved that litter sign. At least they're realistic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a long ways from the Bodie Hills, girl! LOL Beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete