24 March 2011

Poetry

Lately I've been writing a lot of poems when I'm in between classes and whatnot, so I thought I'd be nice and share. :)

Post-rain UB (14-3-11)
Pula ya na - or it was
The calm before the storm
We saw, we watched it coming through
Lightning, thunder, flashes of light
From horizon to horizon
Rain in torrents, sheets, like movies
I remember: The Two Towers
Mulan
The Perfect Storm
And here we see, we ran inside,
The aftermath of that which lasted
All through the night -
Every time I awoke
- and into the early morning.
And now we see the sun is out
laundry done at cloudy dawn
Will dry now in the sun
And people out and about and
laughter, voices, calling, shouts
And all the life of normal days
Revived and fresh, washed new.
We talk of change and better days
and better attitudes
and better ways
And pass the time, don't think it strange,
In the life we live, we see our change.


The Debate between Staying and Going (13-3-11)
Damp is a cold that you have to introduce to yourself
It's heavy, yet soft
cold, but warm
uncomfortable and something you get used to.
Damp is in how we see, search, sing, sigh
Seem to look
yet stay behind
Move beyond
but hold some back
Stay on the ground
and soar through clear or cloudy skies.
Damp is on my mind, originally such a shock
When I put it on with excitement,
yet slowly;
When I let it fall a bit,
but pulled it tighter 'round me
When I got used to the feel and now -
and now prepare to fling it off again.
I know full well it will never be the same
yet I wonder if I could stretch it out somehow.
I know the things I have waiting for me
but I'm scared to lose what I'm holding now
I know my time is running out
and I know I must let go.
But that doesn't mean that I want to...


9-0-8 on a Thursday Morning (17-3-11)
A night spent out
Some spirits downed
First time at the spout
Some dancing around
Few, but good friends
Somewhat smaller than thought
The night, late, ends
Some sleep at last got.
Wake up in the morning
Some peel-back of skin
Go slow due to back pain
Some minutes late, walk in
And now sit here thinking:
"Some more sleep I need"
Hopefully we'll get out of here
Some more sleep I need.


Old Student Center (pt.1)
Echoes bounce of dance and song,
Sports and rhythm of life
In and acrosst and about a courtyard
Where trees break through paving stones
And green arches hover over
Slippery surfaces of red tile.

That last one is still in the works. Part 2 is actually written, but can't stand on its own without part 3, which I still need to pen down. It's weird to be writing poetry again after writing mostly songs for the last couple years. Poems that can stand alone are very different from songs, which can convey both through the medium of words and music (as well as the tone and energy of performance), whereas this poetry is something that I'm writing down for myself and isn't performative. Granted, if I came up with something good I could always perform at the Wednesday night poetry reading again, but I'm not sure if any of these would be workable for that.

So, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment