15 March 2011

Pula ya na.

That's right: it's raining. This morning I took my time walking to class, holding my umbrella, sliding my flip-flops through puddles and dirt. I was late for class, but I really didn't care - I was too delighted by the rain to want to hurry away.

I updated my skype this morning. Apparently the new version is 5.0 something something something. I'd been using 2.8 something something something. Things look VERY different. I don't think I've updated since I downloaded it my freshman year, I suppose. Whoops! :) But now I should be able to do conference calls, which is pretty cool. If it would be possible to get multiple people to have the same free time to talk all at once, that is. Can't say I'm too sure about the plausibility of that....

Tomorrow is my birthday and I'm pretty excited. I'm going out to Spur with some friends to get my fix of pork ribs and a milkshake. I'm going to invite anyone who's interested from the choir to come, but I'm not sure how many actually will. I don't think people go out to eat much here as restaurants can be a bit pricy, but we'll see. Hopefully I get a good turn-out. :) I've got half a mind to go shopping Wednesday morning and by myself a new shirt or a dress or something special like that, but I'm not sure if I will or not. We'll see how my Wednesday morning looks when I get there.

Choir is back in full swing today. Yesterday was the evaluation, where people discussed the shortcomings of our choir management and the Intervarsity competition and aired their views on what what what. It was a bit of a long two hours, as the entire thing was about 95% Setswana and I did not always understand (or could often only guess at) what was being said. It really makes me feel the limits of my small vocabulary, but at the same time I got excited by the thoughts and ideas I was able to pull out - especially when they were full sentences that I could understand. I didn't contribute any of my own thoughts to the discussion, largely because I was pretty sure that they might have been covered, and I didn't want to show that I had missed something. ;)

My time is really winding down here. I've got less than 60 days before I come back to the U.S. I won't lie: I've tossed around the idea of paying the $100 extension fee and staying on another semester. I could probably do it - come home and work a summer, save as much as possible, by another ticket to Botswana for the Fall... but I don't think it'll happen. I'll be coming back at the beginning of May, working a hard summer and saving as much as possible, then playing out my last semester at North Park and getting out before I get too much more in debt. I like what I've got going here, and I would love to stretch it out, but I think that I'd be better off leaving before I get in too deep - it'll hurt less that way. Two months aren't much, and they're going to fly by, but it is still a pretty decent chunk of time. I guess we'll see how things unfold.

3 comments:

  1. We all love you over here Jaclynn, and Judy says you have to come home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... I guess I already deprived her of my Facebook presence; perhaps I should let her have this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Jaclynn!

    ReplyDelete