13 June 2012

I was born under a wanderin' star

I have been going on many hikes and even a few bike rides since I got here, but until yesterday I had neglected to bring my camera for ya'll to see any pictures. Allow me to remedy that situation:
 Welcome to Glass Creek Meadow, a nice easy hike up through pumice rock and Jefferey Pines to a beautiful, fertile, spring meadow, crisscrossed with creeks and cricks and babbling brooks. The mountain ridge in the back is the divide between the Owens Valley (where we were) and the San Joaquin river valley. Flat areas all around seem like good places to make base camp for exploring the area further.
What these pictures do not show you is that I actually went hiking with someone else yesterday: a young man named Steven who I met at the Mono Lake Visitor Center who happens to share some of my days off. Combine that with my cycling coworker and it looks like I won't be doing quite so many activities by myself this season. Which, I have to admit, is kinda nice for a change. Now if only I can find a good cribbage partner...

Anyway: I've got two days of work facing me now before I drive up to Reno and fly to Kansas for Drew and Holly's wedding this weekend. After which, operating on the hope that I get my first paycheck, I will be hitting up several different sales establishments to spend my pay on groceries and various other merchandise. It should be a nice little mini-vacation for me, I think. :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a fantastic time and glad that you are getting hikes and bike rides in! Getting ready to go to Cerro Gordo from the 20th -24th. Don't think I'm going to make Bodie on the 4rth of July after all...but I will see you FOB Day for sure! Cecile

    ReplyDelete