25 June 2012

Searching for Simple

My day has gone by slowly, but has been thoroughly filled. I'm still at the Desert Bungalow - I think I'll leave about this time tomorrow and see what can be done in Bodie before I go to bed Tuesday evening. This morning I broke my fast with half a grapefruit and three kumquats. My grandpa would be proud. I still remember the first time he showed me how to eat a kumquat in Alabama. Now I've got a bag of them to consume in little fits and bursts. I think they'll last me awhile. After breakfast I dressed and went for a hike, out the door and up the mountain. Initially I thought to summit it, but at the base of the rocky outcroppings that capped the mount I found that a large, smooth boulder provided an ample view of the valley below and I suddenly had no desire to climb further. I reclined on the rock and watched the view for at least twenty minutes before finally forcing myself to leave my windy post and head back down the mountain. Of course, my way back was not without a few stops and pauses for the vistas as well. I could look at that view all day - they've got a beautiful, secluded place here.

The rest of the day's activities have been rather lax. I showered, ate some chocolate, read the first chapter of Slater's Earthwalk, and napped. Upon waking, I prepared a light lunch to eat while I watched the next episode of Avatar: The Legend of Korra. I suppose I'm about halfway through the first season, which looks like it's only going to be 12 episodes long - a pity, since it's a really good show. Though I still think I like the original better, I am enjoying where they are taking this new story line. I read an excerpt from Thoreau's Walden, another section in Griffin's Black Like Me, and sorted through the box of Goodwill-bound books of Mark and Lynn's to find a few good-looking reads. Most interestingly, Susan Strasser's Waste and Want: A Social History of Trash, a guide to green cleaning, and a tutorial on solar energy and other sustainable living practices. All of which, I am sure, will be very good reads.

After eating an apple, I find myself here at the computer again, because all of this has put me into a very thoughtful mood, as is prone to happen when I am alone in a house, surrounded by nature. This idea keeps popping up in my head of having only three shirts and simply rotating between two each week, using the third as a backup, then mixing them and doing it again the week that follows. Last night I kept the lights off until the very last second, trying to utilize as little electricity as possible. Every time I shower I think about the bucket bathes of Botswana and how I could achieve the same effect with less than two gallons of water and a couple squirts of Dr. Bronner's soap. A real shower would only be necessitated once a week or before special occasions. Anyway, living in a house makes me think about what I would want in my house someday, and I can't help but shorten the list the more I see. It's time to simplify my life a bit more, sort through what little I have, get rid of what isn't necessary, finish reading books and give them away for others to enjoy (I don't have to keep all of them, just the exceptionally good I-want-to-read-them-again-and-again ones!), and try to create less waste. But isn't that what I'm always trying to do?

2 comments:

  1. Grandpa had 6 suits, one for each day of the week. Every fall he would by a new one for church, and rotate them down a day for school. He said no one knew he wore the same jacket every Tuesday or Wednesday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a genius idea. Denise was telling me about a girl from Wales who came to work here one season and had just one skirt and a few shirts and always wore the same thing, but no one ever said anything to her about it or noticed/bothered that she wore the same skirt every day. I think it's all in our heads, really, and the people who do notice and point it out aren't usually worth our time anyway.

    ReplyDelete