30 June 2012

More baking!

Yesterday was full of baking. I awoke in the morning, found a recipe, and made my first batch of cinnamon granola before I went to work. It turned out well, though it didn't clump as much as I had hoped it would. I read about it, and they say I need to get oat flour and mix that in to allow the oats to "glue" together. We'll see if I can find that. For the super-easy granola recipe that I found, click here.

Before I went off to work I set a half cup of almonds soaking in two cups of water in preparation for another batch of almond milk.

After work I utilized the last of my previous batch of almond milk (which I'd probably let go a bit too long for drinking, but it wasn't bad for baking) and made three batches of cereal - one blue corn, one yellow corn, and one plain flour. This time I learned from my last experience and was patient. I didn't try to toast them all on two big sheets, but toasted each half-batch on its own sheet just like the recipe says. The results were a magnificent set of perfectly crisp cereals. Once they had cooled down, I added my granola from this morning to the bowl, mixed it all up, and separated it into containers. I would say the whole thing only took me a couple hours, as I started sometime after 6:30 and was done before 9 o'clock. Not too shabby, if I say so myself.

This morning I cracked open my almonds, poured them into my blender, and whipped up some delightful almond milk, which I poured fresh over my new cereal + granola, with some raisins added in. Delicious! I would say this was definitely a success, and I'm looking forward to making more cereal + granola in the future. I will soon be running out of blue corn, and then yellow corn flour, and I am wondering what I should purchase next. I would very much like to try graham flour and see if it tastes like graham crackers. Sorghum would be an interesting one to try as well. And certainly, I ought to try some bran flour sometime, since that is was the recipe calls for!

Denise says I should market my own cereal... Jack's C+G, anyone? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment