27 July 2012

How Bizarre!?

My weekend went well, by the way, and I'm bound to get pictures (and video) up soon. Like when I locate my camera (pretty sure I left it in the car...). But there's something else going on here that's a bit... bizarre.

Namely, I ate a big stick of raw rhubarb dipped in sugar the night before last. It was delicious, and rang of childhood. But then I woke up yesterday morning and couldn't taste, and my lips felt like they were on fire! I first noticed the lack of taste when I went to eat my yogurt and trailmix and threw in a handful of hoped-to-be-delicious blueberries... and couldn't taste them! What in the world!? Weird stuff, I'm telling you. My coworker gave me a benadryl, wondering if maybe it was some sort of allergic reaction, but it didn't help diddly-squat. I rubbed honey all over my tongue and my lips, and that soothed for a little bit, but frankly, it's the next day, and my taste buds are still only firing on less-than-half of their cylinders.

On the bright side, my housemate is sick, so I'm drinking plenty of the Workman cider-vinegar/honey concoction, which is pretty potent stuff to force down your throat when you're not sick. Unless you can't really taste it - in which case it is much easier to drink. Anyhow, I think this is some sort of extreme sour reaction (like sour tongue, when you "burn" your tongue eating too many sour gummy worms or pineapple) and it is getting a bit better. This morning I could taste the blueberries (somewhat), as well as the granola and the cashews (just a little bit) in my trailmix. But I couldn't taste the peanuts, sunflower seeds, or almonds. Taste is definitely something that I've always taken for granted, and I must say that it's really disappointing when you can't taste your food - it's almost like "why even bother?". As for the burning sensation on my lips, that seems to have cooled down - just a little bit. Mike and Tiffany's homemade lip balm seems to be the best at soothing them (probably because they've got a high honey/beeswax content).

So evidently, I can eat plenty of cooked rhubarb, but I am no longer able to handle eating it raw. Very disappointing. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? I googled it and found just one other person on one of those question-forum pages who was experiencing the same thing: they said they'd been suffering these same symptoms for TWO WEEKS after eating a foot-long stick of raw rhubarb! I certainly hope that my tastebuds aren't down for the count for two whole weeks. That would really be a bugger. Especially since this weekend I'm going to be at Cerro Gordo with Roger and Cecile and they always cook the most delicious, savory foods! Hopefully my taste comes back within the next day or two. But seriously. How bizarre!?

No comments:

Post a Comment