28 July 2012

The Saga Continues!

Eating still seems to be a pointless venture right now. Where's the flavor!? If this is what it's like to be old and lose your sense of taste, I think I'll just starve myself to death.

This morning when I woke up my lips were all "blistered" over. I tried to keep them balmed up, but after being out in the kiosk for two hours they dried up and have officially split in numerous places.

Consultation with the family revealed that I probably consumed an unripe stalk of rhubarb. If you know about the chemical makeup of plants, you'll know that oftentimes, while a fruit is developing, there are certain noxious chemicals that later migrate to the core or seeds or whatever so that the fruit is protected during development and the seeds are protected afterward. Most likely, this stalk was unripe and I got a healthy dose of intense chemicals (which in rhubarb is probably intense acid, seeing as it's a tart plant) that pretty much killed my tastebuds and my lips. Sad day.

Tonight we're having a "Change Our Luck" movie party, where Dr. Charlo (I'm pretty sure it'll be Charley in a costume) is going to rid us of all our bad ju-ju. This season has just been crazy. Five people on staff have been in car accidents (two of them have been in two this year); four people have passed/passing matriarchs and have had to take time off for that; three people have been seriously ill (two with strep, one with 'relapse fever'); two people have had bad colds; and now I've lost my sense of taste!

Frankly, I'm a bit nervous to even leave town this weekend; but if I stay, I'm bound to come down with something, the way our luck has been! I hope Cerro Gordo has more good karma than our ghost town does this year. You have to wonder: who's stealing what artifacts to give us all this bad luck? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment