06 September 2012

Jobs

Sometimes we wish we had all the money and all the time to do everything we want to do. Unfortunately, we don't live in heaven yet (and they probably won't have money there anyhow?). I was hoping to do the High Sierra Fall Century (not the whole thing, just the metric century) this Saturday with Dain (a coworker), and my scheduler had said she was thinking of giving me Saturday/Sunday as my days off for the rest of my time here. But then two of my coworkers (who only work on weekends because they're in school) asked for this Saturday and Sunday off to go deer hunting. Shazam! No more Saturday off for Jaclynn. Granted, I didn't put in an official request for that day, so it wasn't even on her radar that this was mildly important, but I guess it just goes to show that you can't count on anything until it's in writing. Dain was pretty disappointed when I broke the news to him last night - said he didn't want to do it alone, and I felt pretty darn awful. Yes, the ride costs A LOT of money out here ($55!?), but it was going to be a fun thing to do and I had already gotten his hopes up by saying that I was going to get the day off before I left for vacation. Now I feel bad because it's like I lied to him, and I really let him down. Not only that, but because my days off got switched to Monday/Tuesday, we don't have an overlapping day anymore, so we won't be able to go on any rides together anymore.

Shucks.

I had an interview for transferring to Marshall Gold Discovery SHP in the spring and it went pretty well. If I don't get anything lined up with the feds, I'll probably be going home this winter, and returning in the spring to work there. But I'm not ready to give up on the NPS just yet. I keep applying for jobs. I just got referred for the one at Montezuma Castle (where I interned before, so there's a decent chance I could get the position); I also just applied for several positions at San Juan National Historic Site in Puerto Rico, where I turned down a term appointment earlier this year because of poor timing but tried to leave the door open for future possibilities (such as the 6-month and 1-year positions that they are listing right now). We'll see if I hear anything from them at all, but that listing doesn't close until the 18th and 19th of September, so it'll be at least the end of the month before I do.

And of course, the big debate right now is how long will I stay in Bodie this year? I could use the extra money if I work into October; but if I get a job in Puerto Rico that starts in November, I'll definitely want to spend October driving home, being home, packing up, and moving. To Puerto Rico. Wow, that'd be crazy. If I get the job at Montezuma Castle, that's supposed to start in October - hopefully they would give me enough notice that I could give my work enough notice (and possibly make it home?) before I go back to Arizona. And if I don't get anything lined up? Then I probably should work through October, just to buttress my finances for my winter of unemployment.

Does all this mean that I'm really an adult now? Or does that start once I actually, legitimately get my own car?

1 comment:

  1. Haha, getting your own car is really overrated. :) Though, I do understand the necessity for it since you are traveling so much.

    Puerto Rico would be a crazy place to work! If you work there, Michael and I would absolutely need to visit you. It'd be perfect too, because we'd have a Spanish-speaking guide!

    By the way, please come home soon. I miss having a crafting buddy. :)

    ReplyDelete