10 September 2012

Voila!

So I'm sure you've all been wanting to know, ever since I dropped a hint about it, what Jack the Scottish Latchbarman looks like! Well, I gave my email to some visitors on my tour yesterday and now you finally have the chance to see. :) Photo credits go to Mr. Bob Summers.

 I still need to do some work on my suspenders, I think. The back is too long, so I had to cinch up the front, which kind of makes me hunch my shoulders a bit. Eso es no bueno. Anyhow, something for the future. I don't think I'm going to bother anymore this season. This is the first living history tour I've been able to do in a couple weeks! Besides, I can't even be bothered to sew the button on my uniform shirt pocket, and that happened just a week after I bought the thing...
 Here's me at the camshaft. So the reason this post is entitled "Voila!" is because when I talk about my job as a latchbar man, I explain the deft art of hanging up a stamp, and when I get to the part where it's hung up I say, "Voila! I hung up a stamp!" French speakers always get a giggle out of that one.
 And the end of the tour. That was a real fun group - not the best one ever this season, those were the ones who totally took the "we're going back in time" thing and ran with it... I'd never been called "Jack" so many times in my life! But anyhow, this group was pretty high up there, for sure. I love it when they're fun.

I talked to my folks last night, and I finally decided: I'm just going to stay until the end of the month, then I'm going to load up my car and be on my way. It's been a great season, but I'm starting to feel a bit burned out, and I kinda just want to go home. It's been a long time that I've been away. So I'll tell the scheduler when she gets back from her weekend and make it official, and in the meantime, I'm busy planning my latest cross-country trip. So far, it looks like I'll probably be making stops in Zion, Grand Staircase-Escalante, possibly Antelope Canyon (I still have to research that a bit to see if it's even plausible), Great Sand Dunes, Drew and Holly's, friends in Chicago, and then back home! It should be a fun trip, and I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment