07 November 2012

The job-hunt continues!

Another day, another slew of applications.

After a few "not contacted - not selected" disposition letters in my inbox, my current tally of NPS referrals stands at 13.

I am still on the short list for that job at Big Bend, and am still hoping to hear back, if nothing else just so I can have the experience of being interviewed in Spanish. As terrifying as that sounds.

I've officially put in for a UPS holiday season position, but am getting a bit of a run-around from their system. Hopefully that'll be figured out soon.

And this evening, I just sent in an application for a part-time Park Attendant at Pigeon Creek Lodge. Pigeon Creek is an Ottawa County Park with excellent groomed ski trails that my family has frequented on numerous occasions throughout my years, in the night and in the day, in summer (for hiking or mountain biking) and in winter. They have a lodge that serves the basics: a warm fireplace, tables and chairs, hot dogs and hot cocoa, as well as ski rentals. The position is pretty simple: keep things clean and clear, give and take food orders, patrol the park on skis (which sounds great and would be a great thing to put on a resume for future winter park applications - like that Black Canyon of the Gunnison one that I didn't quite measure up for), and respond with a level head in the event of an emergency. All of these, I'm pretty sure I could do. It'd be part time, minimum wage, but good experience and at a location that I know and love already. A bit of a drive (20-some miles from home), but I'm sure I could figure something out, and it's not all that bad if I had to make the full commute every day.

So that's where things stand, for now. I'm enjoying my time up north with my sister. My older nephew (I can say that now, because now I have two!) just went on the potty by himself without telling anyone or asking for help for the first time! Very exciting. The little one is getting more expressive each day, and we're taking him for all sorts of firsts: first outing, first going to church, first shopping at a thrift store, first trip to the grocer's, first walk through the neighborhood. The days are a balance of playing, eating, and resting (or trying to rest). It's fun to be up here, and great to feel like I can be a part of my nephews' lives - since it's hard for me to do that the rest of the year when I'm traveling all over the place and living so far from home. Hopefully after this week, Garrett will actually recognize me the next time he sees me. :)

Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Wherever you wind up working...it will be an adventure for you as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But of course! I just which I knew which adventure it was going to be so I could prepare adequately! ;)

    ReplyDelete