19 February 2013

Hiking + Biking

What a power-filled weekend.

Monday I rocked the Burger Bike with my best time yet: 2 hours and 5 minutes. Every time I do that ride I feel more awesome, and there's stretches when I ride now that I'm just cruisin' along at 18/19/20mph, in the groove, just like back in the old days. I love it! Of course, it was very helpful that the headwind only lasted the first 15 miles instead of the whole 30 this time, but still. I shaved a full ten minutes off my time this week. That's awesome.
Today I hiked the Dodson Trail on a through hike with a few friends. It was a great hike - very varied terrain, with lots of gorgeous views. Not to mention that the weather was perfect: mid-60s, cloudy, with a light breeze. I couldn't have asked for anything better. It was a lot of fun, and I got to know people better, I think. Plus, as is always the case with long hikes (and long bikes), I was able to work a lot of things out in my brain, like how I'm definitely going to stay here at least through the end of April, and how legit my job is, despite it being totally illegit. (Alyssa called me out on "legit" being my favorite word today... maybe I have come to use that one too often....) At 12 miles, this is the longest hike to date for the year, and if my records are right it's the longest I've done in the last 2 years. And quite possibly the longest I've done since 2010? or maybe even 2009? I'm not really sure. Craziest bit of all: I did the whole thing in my Merrell Barefoot shoes, and am pleased to say that I didn't get any blisters! That little flexible part just above the heel but behind/below the ankle bone is a bit sore, but otherwise my feet actually don't feel all that bad post-soaking in the bath tub.
That being said: I found a wicked steal of a deal on some hiking boots online and they're hopefully shipping to me soon (and hopefully fitting as well) so I'll be able to hike without getting so many stones and pokers and whatnot in my shoes.

So just to give you a run-down on the numbers. I've been here just over a month now, and I've put in 184.5 miles on the bicycle, and roughly 39.05 miles of hiking. In January and February. How crazy is that!? And that's not even counting the many miles that I've put in just walking around RGV on my work days between the visitor center, the campgrounds, and my house. I'm gonna be super-fit! :)

1 comment:

  1. And while you were doing this, Roger and I joined my son at his desert campsite to watch them play with their dirt bikes. I didn't ride a bike, but he conned me into learning how to ride the quad. I did about ten minutes around the campsite, and can hardly wait till next time they go out so I can take it on the trail!

    ReplyDelete