07 February 2013

Spring = Bugs, Summer = More

After another long and tiring day of "work", I come home, grab a glass of water and a homemade snack bar, sit down to check my email, and I see one of these on the wall:
(not my photo)
Luckily, my next door neighbor, Alyssa, showed up as I was frantically and frenetically trying to find a bug identifier website (without much luck, since I know almost nothing about how to properly identify bugs). She identified it right away as a young Wind Scorpion - something she informed me usually comes in pairs. I should expect to see another one within the next two days. I should also, now that it's starting to warm up outside, start wearing flip-flops in my house so that I don't get bit by a scorpion.

Hold up.

So scorpions are going to come into my house!?!?!? Okay, I kind of knew that coming in, but I have recently been operating under the (false?) assumption that my brand-spanking-new house would mean that I wouldn't have creepy crawlies sneaking in to take chunks out of my toes. Wind scorpions, luckily, are not poisonous, though they have been known to bite (and hard) a human from time to time. We carefully removed this one from my house and put it back outside. Also, the scorpions we have at Big Bend, while mildly poisonous, are not life-threatening to humans. Alyssa informed me that it was totally okay to squash any scorpion I found in my home - the crunching, cracking thought of which grossed me out far more than the fear of scorpions in my house ever did.

Have any of you seen "The Good Year"? I think I'm going to start putting lavender boxes on my windowsills. Eep!

1 comment: