29 June 2013

Heat Perceptions.

It's been hot. Two days ago we maxed out at 85. Yesterday we were supposed to top off at 88, though I haven't checked the weather gauges yet to see how hot we got yesterday. The rest of the week, actually, is supposed to be much of the same. Our only saving grace is that it's been clouding over with cool thunderheads in the afternoons and evenings - but after the initial cooling they leave us feeling sticky. I'm glad that today is my Friday, because it's a bit too hot to be walking around in the heat of the day in uniform.

I got my latest Vitacost order, complete with Wintergreen and Peppermint oils! Why is this exciting? Because I've been making my own toothpaste concoctions, and now they will have flavor! Also included in the package were a few tubes of discounted Desert Essence shea butter chapstick, and a toothbrush that comes with a spare head, for which I can simply buy replacement heads for the rest of forever and not have to replace the whole deal every time I wear it out! Hooray for less waste!

Mountain bikes are on my mind right now... I was hoping to get one of the new Specialized women's 29ers, but they got pushed out in availability until August... Sad day. So I'm looking around at some other options, and checking into getting a pro deal on a Santa Cruz bike - particularly one of their Juliana line (for women) - absolutely gorgeous bikes with great component line-ups that you can see here. I'm still waiting to hear the word back on that, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

June is just about done, and after tomorrow I will have been here for two months and be at least one third of the way through my season. In a couple more weeks I'll be taking my first mini-vacation of the season (there's another one in the works for later in the fall, not to mention other trips to visit California friends and relatives that I'd like to work into my weekends).

Well, I have to get going - my toothpaste needs to be remixed with Wintergreen and I've got to get dressed for work! It's supposed to be above 80 degrees again today, which means that I can allow myself to wear my shorts and short sleeves (with lots of whiter chick sunscreen, of course!). But I think I'll be able to suck it up - after all, it was 106 at my home in Big Bend yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. That heat sounds very nice ;) I would just put on more clothes to keep out of the sun.

    The Juliana hard tails look great. I noticed that a lot of the bikes have thru front axles. Keep in mind that they won't work with a Yakima fork mount without some extra parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's finally cooled down to a much more reasonable upper-70s for this week. Thank goodness! I wear the shorts and short sleeves when it's above 80 because my uniform shirts are all polyester (=plastic) and my pants are poly/cot, so I don't want to er... melt. But now that we're back to our usual 70s, I'll be glad to don my long sleeves and pants again. I've been using mineral sunblock that makes me look very white, but it really does the job - I didn't get burned last week at all!

      I'm not sure what you mean about "through front axles" - do the Juliana models I'm looking at have that? and what exactly does that mean? I know the Fork Lift is supposed to be good for bikes with disc brakes, but I know nothing of through front axles.

      Delete