02 June 2013

Mileage

I've been here about a month now, and I've hiked about 44 miles, and biked 25. Compared to Big Bend, that doesn't sound like much. But bear in mind: I probably average a minimum of 7 miles of walking every day that I work; and I have to drive in order to get to any place that I can ride my road bike.

In terms of hiking, I'm just getting started. I've got a little 1.5 mile loop that I'm working on incorporating into my morning routine (I've been waking up around 5:30 and I don't have to work 'til 7:30 at the earliest, most days, so there's lots of room in the morning routine) and I'm trying to make a 2-4 mile after-work hike into a weekly group event with some success so far. I've also found a hiking partner in Lee Vining that, after two trial runs, seems willing to put up with me for longer distances, so I'm sure there's more to come. Not to mention that I'm going to Mark and Lynn's tomorrow to do some hiking with them as well.
As far as biking goes, I'm looking into the possibility of getting a mountain bike. I'm keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a used one or something similar, because I think that the state of my bike back home, combined with the cost of shipping, wouldn't make that a worthwhile venture. Plus, I think my sister has it. I suppose she can keep it, if that's the case. I think that if I'm going to buy one, I'd like to invest in one that's halfway decent. I'm kind of wishing that I had bought one of the awesome bikes they had at Desert Sports before I left there instead of that dumb trailer that I'm trying to sell now. I think I'll stop into the bike shop in Gardnerville and see if they've got anything neat on their floor this weekend.

Where other activities are concerned, I've got a shipment of yarn that came in this past week and the needles to go with it I will pick up in town tomorrow or Tuesday, then I'm starting to knit a tank top pattern that I bought on ravelry. It's really cute looking, and I'm excited to be knitting my first warm weather item - everything I've ever knit before has been for wearing when it's cold! The green yarn that I ordered turned out to be a bit brighter than I expected, but I think it'll look good on me when it's all knit up. If worse comes to worse, I can probably gift it and buy the yarn in a different color or maybe sell it somehow or something. But I'm thinking it'll look good.

My reading spree took a turn for the worse this past couple weeks, and I am only just now coming on the closing sections of Isabel Allende's "Zorro". I've still got "Ninja: 1000 Years of the Shadow Warrior" by Mr. Man to read before I can turn in this slew of books, which will be due again on the 8th of June - I'm hoping I can renew them a second time because I don't think I'll finish that historical book very quickly. I've got some books checked out from the Bodie Private Library as well that I'd like to read, so I think I'll wait to get more public library books until I finish those, so that'll probably be at least a couple weeks or so.

I suppose that's all for now. I've got to get packed for Mark and Lynn's tomorrow, and get my grocery list figured out for the month ahead so I can get everything I need in Carson City. On top of that, I've got to eat supper and get to bed on time, so I'd better get moving. Mark and Lynn want me to be at their place by 9 in the morning tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Love the rainbow picture. Love seeing pictures of my beautiful daughter!

    ReplyDelete