10 June 2013

Money might not grow on trees...

... but I seem to be finding a lot of it in the sagebrush around Bodie!

When I came up to Bodie this summer, I thought I might not have a room, so I purchased a pop-up trailer for $750 and towed it up, only to find that I did have a cozy little place to stay. This posed a problem in my ultra-utilitarian, nomadic lifestyle: I was now the owner of a large, heavy box that I had no use for whatsoever. I posted it on craigslist about a week after I got here, and I reposted it with pictures the other day - which got an immediate and earnest response from an interested buyer. Yesterday I showed the trailer, accepted payment, and signed over the title - for exactly what I paid for it! Woohoo! I can't describe how happy I am to have that big stress box out of the back forty and the money back in my pocket!

Two weeks ago I got to work overtime monitoring a film crew for a Levi's commercial (they finished their filming this past week and will hopefully be putting up the commercial relatively soon). This was the first time in my three years at Bodie that I've ever been asked to do overtime, and I was thrilled! My paycheck for the month of June is going to be rockin with that added overtime on it.

Yesterday, while I was waiting for my last load of laundry to finish, Ryan came to my house with Dani's phone number and told me to give her a call. Dani is the business manager for the Bodie Foundation, who I worked for my first two weeks when I did the early opening for the museum. I called her up and she asked what I was doing today (Monday) because there was supposed to be a 2-hour private town tour for these four visitors and now the tour guide can't make it for whatever reason. Naturally, I agreed to do it. I don't have any plans set up for today, and it would still leave me plenty of time to get to the post office in town this afternoon to take care of business there. Plus, it pays.

So what am I planning on doing with all this extra money in my pocket? Well, something that I've been thinking about for several years now, but can only justify in my current situation: I'm going to buy a new mountain bike. I officially gifted my old one to my sister yesterday, and I've got my sights set on a beautiful womens 29er model that Specialized puts out. I just have to give the local bike shop a call, maybe do a little haggling, and get them to order it so I can be ready to roll as soon as possible. Because let's face it: I'm surrounded by dirt roads here in Bodie, and I would LOVE to be able to ride more. I have no fear of investing in a good bike - with my track record, I'll probably have it and use it for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment