12 November 2014

Catching up! part 3 of 3

Alright, I apologize for the little interlude there, but I'm back! I got busy with the growing pains of moving into a new community, but I've settled down once more and have started to put my feelers out, as it were, and am finding ways to occupy my time. The house continues to look a little better every day... or maybe every couple of days... and I am looking forward to the time when we can say it really feels as though we're all settled. Hopefully sooner, rather than later. I have definitely come to the conclusion that Jack has more stuff than I do. It's nice to know there's somebody else with more stuff than me. In fact, he may even have more stuff than I have with my stuff here and my stuff in Michigan combined! For my part, I've managed to find a place for most of my things, and without hogging the storage spaces (that was a trick!). There's only one box that I can think of that I still need to sort through and find places for its contents. Hooray! I completed a few to-do projects around the house today (screwing in hooks and under-cabinet counter lights), and am feeling pretty accomplished. Now if only I could find us a cheap-but-good bed on craigslist and get us up off the floor!

The church shopping has begun in earnest. Last week I made a list of every church in the phone book in Crescent City, then I called each one to ascertain what kind of a church it was. I narrowed it down to a handful, and I started with the Methodist Church. I'd never been to one before, but I discovered it was a quiet, small, liturgical church (very similar to Lutheran, but a little less traditional). The people were nice, and I got compliments on my singing voice and invited to the knitting group on Mondays. I went, too. That was alright, and I think I will go again. Right now they're making things for their craft bazaar booth, but the rest of the year they just do prayer shawls... I don't know how long I could "just do prayer shawls"... we'll see. Through that, though, I was able to find out about a community choir AND a community theater (which, according to their website, will be holding auditions for its spring musical in December), so I think I may try to find out more information about both of those.

I went to the municipal pool and bought a 10-visit pass, then went to swim laps for the first time today. It was a nice pool - some sort of chlorine and salt solution that I think my skin appreciated much better. I definitely smell much better than after some pools I've swum in! It was busy - when I arrived every lane already had two people in it, so I had to "circle swim" with a couple people in one lane. My least favorite thing, to be sure. But eventually I saw someone leave and was able to move over a couple lanes and have a half of a lane to myself. They're having a sale on their passes between Black Friday and Christmas Eve, so I'll be purchasing a 50-visit pass then, and I think that'll probably keep me for the rest of the season.

So, so far, so good. I really like Crescent City. It's beautiful, it's quiet, my home is a short walk away from the ocean, the library is a pretty decent size, and I have reliable phone and internet that I can get in my house (which I have to pay for, but hey!). I'm still waiting to see what my unemployment check is going to look like for the season, once they factor in my summer employment to the equation, but once I have that number I'll be able to calculate how much I need to get paid at a job to make it worthwhile. Otherwise, I think I may find a place to volunteer or just get involved in a bunch of different community things. We'll see!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment