03 September 2010

Sea cows?

Currently Reading: Numbers 4-6

This morning I thought I'd pick up where I left off in Numbers this summer, and lo and behold, the strangest thing occurs: the Bible starts talking about the hides of sea cows. Manitees? in Israel? I'm confused. I think I'll ask Bekah about this phenomenon, since she's the one who convinced me to read Numbers anyway. :)

So, life in general. My plans are underway to delete my Facebook account. Something in Pastor Judy's chapel message on Wednesday, combined with what she said at chapel chat afterwards about Facebook specifically, just pushed me over the edge: I have to drop it. So I'm going to, and I'm ramping myself up for it. At the end of this month, I'm going to put an end to it, and that'll be that.

Last night I went to the North Park Theatre Company meeting. This year is going to be great, and I'm a little bummed about the things I'm going to miss out on by not being here next semester, but that's one of the many prices you pay to study abroad. Still, this semester will consist of two, one-weekend projects that I will totally be able to give the time to and participate in. One of them is my usual, typical, Project 24, which I love. I'm thinking this year I might put "writer" down as my first option and see where that goes. The other is a Nordic play festival that will be one weekend, script-in-hand performances of recently-translated Nordic plays. It sounds awesome, and I told Chad Eric so. I'm actually pretty excited for that one, just because it sounds so neat and I'm so interested as to what it's going to be like.

Classes are going well: I've made it successfully through my first week. I've got my morning dose of Intro to Cell Bio today, and then I'll be set loose for the long weekend. My goal is to get as much homework done as possible so that I can relax a little more during the week. I've been getting up at six o'clock in the morning these past couple weeks, and I'm hoping to keep the trend going so that I can have some morning time to myself to wake up slow, do some reading, etc. My goal is to not have to do homework in that morning time, because I want that to just be a time for me. I feel like that's something that was really lacking from my last few semesters, combined with personal, recreational reading. So this year I'm trying to remedy that as best I can. We'll see how it goes.

My attempts at finding work have bottomed out, and it looks like I'll have to be content with the few hours I manage to pick up this semester with my security job. Which, come to think of it, is not a bad thing, considering that I have plenty of other stuff that I want to do and be involved with, while staying on top of homework, and hollowing out some me-time. God is shutting doors to take care of me, I think. And I'm really going to have to trust him a lot in these next few months and the next year, because as it is: I know that paying for study abroad is COMPLETELY out of my power right now, and if the funds all show up, it will only be because God's hand is taking care of it for me. In the meantime, I'm applying for as many scholarships as I can find and just praying that he blesses.

Ingenuity and creativity are also areas of my life that have suffered from school. I'm trying to remedy this with little things: creating my own (free!) pencil holder for my desk out of a cereal box and tropical blue duct tape; writing a memoir on my time at Bodie; giving more time to song-writing and story-writing; and trying to relearn (if I ever really knew it to begin with) the art of doodling in and around my notes. Of course, on the flip side, this semester I will be writing an average-sized paper for Cell Bio, a decent-sized paper for Mexican History and Culture (probably on ancient agriculture and the importance of corn in particular), a term paper for 1960's & American Culture (not sure what that'll be yet - brainstorming will occur this weekend, but ideas have popped into my head as polar as national and state parks or the rise of punk music out of the era of peace and love), and a capstone research paper for my History Senior Capstone Seminar (which I have no idea what it's going to be on yet, but again, brainstorming is going to occur this weekend). So this semester, like most semesters as a History Major, is going to be a lot of reading and a lot of writing. But at least it's all in English this semester, so it shouldn't take me too long!

No comments:

Post a Comment