01 August 2012

Two Weekends of Relaxation

Alright - I've finally gotten things together enough to upload pictures from my last couple weekends, so here goes!

 My campsite at Grover Hot Springs was absolutely perfect - just the right size for one tent, secluded, surrounded by trees, just up the hill from the parking spot, and not even very buggy at all!
 Grover itself is a beautiful state park and I highly recommend it. This is their alpine meadow which is so beautiful and has a nice log bench that you can sit on and just stare at the scenery for hours.
 In the town of Markleeville, I stopped by the historical society museum and was delighted to find that they had a cute little stamp mill. Supposedly it's in working condition - I would love to come back when they are open some day and see if that's true.
 Now on to Cerro Gordo. "The Hill", as it was often called back in the day, was a silver mining town of a few thousand souls. Now it is just over a dozen buildings and has a steady population of 2, with the occasional other members of the Cerro Gordo family visiting to raise it a bit higher. This particular cabin (the little one-room in the bottom left corner) is the one I chose to remodel and move into - I did a concept drawing of the inside and outside and everything! ;)
 This is the Chinaman's house where Cecile and Roger stay when they are up there to help the caretakers. I got to stay in there - very nice little 3-room, 1/2 bath house.
 This is the view from town looking out over the Owens Lake bed and off into the Eastern Sierra. The large building with the balcony is the American Hotel - a very fine establishment and absolutely stunning on the inside.
 This is the Belshaw House - though it may not have been the Belshaw house. Another fine building where people come up and stay sometimes.
 And of course, I saw this on my way through Lee Vining while I was heading back this weekend and I fell in love. It's a beautiful truck - 1970 custom Chevy pickup. They want $3300 OBO for it, and personally I think it looks like a great candidate for running on wood... Hmm.... If you'd like to see more pictures from my weekends, click here.

Anyhow, it's good to be back in town. Things have settled and I'm happy to be here for the next couple weekends so I can save up for my big trip at the end of the month - I'll be taking some extra time off and driving to the coast to visit my relatives over there. My sense of taste seems to be improving - I would say I've just got dulled taste now, as I seem to be able to taste everything that I've eaten, just not very well. Still, dulled taste is better than no taste, I would say!

Keep on truckin!

No comments:

Post a Comment