10 January 2013

Into the Unknown


This is my last post for an unforeseeable amount of time. I could have access to the internet as early as tomorrow, or it might be a week or two... I really don't know. Tonight I am staying at the thoroughly pleasant La Loma del Chivo hostel in Marathon. I am in the "beehive" (which maintains its temperature very well, which is why I'm heating it up with a space heater right now, so I can sleep cozy all night!) and I feel as if the little space were made for me: from the simple, narrow bed, to the plain desk, to the beautiful writing that's painted on the window-filled walls. Not to mention its oblong shape. I love it: all simplicity, coziness, and inviting.
I spent the evening with Hans and Frances, a Dutch couple that is on a 6-month cycling tour across the U.S. We had great conversations from supper onward, and they truly are beautiful (and well-traveled!) people. They have cycled around South Africa, Morocco, Vietnam, and other places I'm sure! They complimented my few Dutch sentences, saying they liked my accent - and thought it almost Belgian-sounding. At least it's understandable.
In the morning there's fresh kefir and goat's milk in the fridge that they said I could share with them. Sounds delightful! I hadn't actually thought about breakfast, so it's good to know that there's something there. So to anyone traveling along, I highly recommend stopping here. It's free for cyclists and couchsurfers, and broke people. But they do have a donation jar in the main Hostel space. Lots of little living places to choose from, although there's only the one communal bathroom/laundry. Still, the staff is friendly and the rates are very reasonable.
All-in-all, I've enjoyed my journey thus far. My stay with Uncle Pete and Aunt Melinda was quite a blessing and I wish I could've had more time with them. Tomorrow, I will pack up my car one last time, and head into the park to start my latest adventure. Wish me luck!

~Jaclynn

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a safe trip! I'll be praying for you as you start your new job!

    ReplyDelete