19 January 2013

Welcome to my new home


Whew! What a whirlwind week it's been. Last Friday I moved into my house at Big Bend National Park, and last night I was resting from a week of getting up early and taking a long commute to training at Panther Junction. Next week I'll still be getting up early, but because I'll be doing the orientation with other noobs I'll get to carpool. Finally, Suki can have a break!

My first week has been interesting. I did some training and hanging about the visitor center and driving around the park... but overall, people don't seem to know what to do with me. I'm not cleared for handling government funds, so I can't work the register or do permits. I also don't know the answers to most park-related questions yet, so I can't do much of that either. This coming week, as part of the major orientation, I will get a much better scope on the park and its resources so that I'll know what's up. And if all goes well, I will be working the following week in the Boquillas Crossing station. Of course, depending on who you talk to, that is either likely or unlikely to happen, so we'll see how that all turns out.

Apparently there's a weekly ride from Panther Junction to Terlingua for burger night. In preparation, I have gone on two bike rides now, neither exceeding 10 miles, both whipping me royally. A combination of higher altitude, hilly terrain, and my not having ridden regularly since September are making it very difficult. I was initially thinking that I would go this coming Monday, but now I'm thinking it might be a better idea to delay one more week. After all, they do it every Monday, it's not like there's any rush. At least if I can get in another week of solo riding and keep working up my mileage, I'll be less likely to embarrass myself when I try to ride 35 hilly miles with a group.

I'm sure that you're all wondering what this place is like. I haven't taken too many pictures yet, but I can describe it to you as hilly, with some mountain-type terrain here and there. On the Rio Grande Village side, where I live, it seems a bit more desolate. When you drive over to the Castolon side things seem much greener to me. In the middle is the Chisos Mountain range, which is a small cluster of mountains that you can hike and camp in which are filled with these beautiful creations called "trees". Everywhere there are beautiful panoramas and views of great distance and depth.

My home... well, that's another matter entirely. I've made a little video tour for you that I think will speak for itself!

6 comments:

  1. Whale!
    Sweet house Jaclynn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks! Ya'll are totally welcome to come visit if you get the chance!

      Delete
  2. Love the little inside window - just like at home. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! An entire house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy innit!? I could hardly believe it when I opened the door and went inside. It's huge! If ya'll get a chance for some free time and wanna come visit, there's some neat ghost town history to be found out here... in fact, the town that I'll be doing my interp program on was a silver/lead mining community. Can't wait 'til I get my hands on some research material to see what kind of methods they used!

      Delete