27 January 2013

Settling and Setbacks

It's been a slow couple weeks of adjustment and settling in here at Big Bend. I'm slowly getting to know my neighbors, both near and far, and have developed an open door policy with my friend Daisy, which has twice now included accidental dinner invites.

This past week I have been attending the volunteer (and new employee) orientation. I've gotten to know several knew people this way, and have been learning a lot about and seen more of the park. Best of all, I've been able to carpool in a government-provided van up to Panther Junction each day for this, which means that my Suki has finally gotten a break! As part of this orientation, I got to go on a 2-day/1-night canoe trip on the Rio Grande. It was awesome! So much fun to canoe, plus fun people, campfire conversation... you really bond with a group when you do a wilderness experience like that and we were no exception to the rule. Not to mention the scenery was stunningly beautiful!

But upon my return from the trip I was summoned to my boss's office for a bit of a disappointing discussion. Once again, the opening of the Boquillas Crossing is being delayed. This time it's because the Mexican government has more preparations to do before they feel confident to open their complementary building on the other side of the river. There's no sure date on when they will be ready yet, and for now I'm going to sit tight and see what happens. But if it takes too long and I don't feel useful, I might have to start looking at my options and alternatives. Hopefully this is just temporary, but there's a chance I could be terminating my first NPS position a bit sooner than anticipated. We'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, I'm now officially stationed as a Park Guide in the Rio Grande Village district. I'm making my own schedule, have the freedom to go on roves (front or backcountry) or work in the visitor center as I desire, and develop and give programs, so long as I put my 8 hours in each day and give my boss a little heads up as to what my plans are for the day in case he needs to find me or something. So... I guess that's not that bad!? Also, it should be noted that I've got my mailing address all setup. It works too - as evidenced by the fresh henna on my arms! :) If you'd like to grace me with a letter or USPS-sent package sometime between now and the end of June, you can do so at:

Jaclynn Workman
P.O. Box 68
Big Bend National Park, TX 79834

That's right - we are our own city here. :)

Until next time!

P.S. - It should be mentioned that until further notice, the best phone number to reach me at is the same area code that it's always been, but ends in seven94 and then 17three3. My cell number still works, but if you leave me a message on there I really don't know when I'll get it. I haven't been able to check my voicemail since I got here.

No comments:

Post a Comment