07 May 2012

Score!

Today was very productive in the awesomeness department. That is to say: I made a very successful Goodwill raid this morning. How so? I found a cashmere cardigan in a beautiful dark green with shell buttons (did you know I've got a thing for shell buttons? it's because I love mother-of-pearl and it looks so similar... iridescence is a fave of mine). But that's just one cardigan - could that really make the day that awesome? But wait! There's more! I found THIS, purple, practically mint condition, at Goodwill, for $6. That's right. $6. Awesomeness.

Less than two weeks now: and two weeks from today I will be in Joshua Tree National Park, on my way to Tujunga to stay with Cecile and Roger before we all three drive up to Bodie in time for the holiday weekend. I'm hoping that they have junior ranger patches there - I think I'll have to call ahead and ask. They already told me I shouldn't have to worry about reserving a campsite because daytime temps will be reaching 100* by then! Eek! So my current plan is, camp, get up early, do a morning hike, then do the junior ranger program (if there's a patch) or just buy a patch and get on the road before I die of heatstroke. I'm really excited, partly because I'll have my Volunteer pass for the parks and that'll be my first opportunity to use it; partly because I'll be going to a new park that I've never seen before!

But seriously, I'm gonna start packing this weekend. Mostly preparatory packing, like tidying and decluttering and starting to put things into boxes and figure out how it's all going to fit again. The reason I'm buying cold-weather clothing when it's getting into the toasty 90s here is because I know the thrift store selection is better here than it will be at Bodie, where, according to the National Weather Service, the current highs are in the upper-60s, low-70s, and the lows are below freezing. I've got some cold weather stuff, granted, because I came out here in winter, but not much. So with these two, very warm articles (and very well-priced), I think I'll be significantly better off. You see, I'm thinking ahead right now. I've got a list of all these things I need to get done before I go, and a few things I ought to buy at the store (like new undershirts ::shudder::). My world is about to change again, and I can hardly wait!

Eastern Sierra, Bodie Hills
Mountains upon mountains in layers
That stretch out from horizon
To horizon beyond
Soon your contours I will trace
In car, on foot, on bicycle tires
There from home to horizon
And horizon beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment