26 August 2012

One-Day Weekend Extravaganza!

Sitting in my church clothes - one button missing on my shirt, eating the remainder of some Haagen-Dazs chocolate ice cream - I didn't feel like being a complete pig last night, and trying to figure out how late I can leave.

I'm house-sitting for Mark and Lynn again, but I only got today off this weekend in preparation for my whirlwind mini-vacation next weekend. I drove up last night and spent the night watching Ondine, drinking a nice, cool fuzzy navel and eating chocolate ice cream. I slept wonderfully, though my extra-odd dream streak is continuing. I think that my subconscious is trying really hard to figure some things out right now.

I went to church this morning at Walker Baptist Church. The little place was packed with friendly people, and I was delighted to find that I had happened upon them on a potluck day. I LOVE church potlucks! If you didn't know already, my plan (if I ever get married) is to have a church potluck for my reception. (All of which will, of course, be coordinated by the magic of the internet so we don't end up with 5 green bean casseroles and no mini-sausages in sauce!) Anyhow, it was really nice to be able to fellowship with other Christians. The last time I did that was the fourth of July weekend in Bridgeport.

After a fun reminiscence of singing VeggieTales with some of my coworkers, one of those singing explained that we were all forced to listen to the same Christian music as children, and one not singing declared that all Christians must have been dropped on their heads as babies. I guess the reminiscing wasn't so fun after all. I love Bodie: it's a great place to work, with great coworkers, and great fun! God is very visible in the beauty of that place. But I miss the Christian fellowship that I can find in other places. I may have Sundays off, but that doesn't mean that I can afford to drive 23 miles to church every Sunday and 23 miles back again - an hour of driving for a little over 2 hours of fellowship. Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough, but I try to leave town as little as possible, if I can help it, to save on gas and to save my dad's car from that awful Bodie road.

But at the same time I feel as though I owe some sort of allegiance to Bodie. I'm part of the community there. It's where I got my start, and its where I've invested a lot of myself. I feel like they count on me in some respects - as if I have a future there. So could I give it up to do something else? even if that something else is a job that I've always wanted? And what if that something else doesn't work out - will I still be able to come back? Will Bodie wait for me? or will I have to wait for Bodie to open up room to hire me and, in the meantime, consign myself to the turbid swirling of the unemployment pool?

As much as I like it out here, I'm a Michigander at heart, and I long to be able to find fulfilling (and decently-paid) employment in my home. It's just that, so far, I have yet to find that. I'm sick of people bashing my home when the have never even been - they don't know the first thing about Michigan! As weird as it sounds, I even miss the ridiculously hot and humid days of summer because they were coupled by going to the beach and cooling off in the waves. Not to mention your skin doesn't get nearly as dry in the humidity of West Michigan as it does in the deserts of Arizona and California.

Anyhow - chances are I'll be coming home soon. Perhaps in October, perhaps in November. It all just depends. But I hope the time goes by fast, because I want to be with my family again.

No comments:

Post a Comment