20 February 2010

A Poem

I want to run and not grow weary
I want to breathe in clean, fresh air
I want my feet to feel the earth beneath me
I want to feel the sunshine in my hair
I want to know the past and future
Are somehow connected in the end
To understand the words of the Other
And to treat my enemy as friend
I want to fly on wings like eagles
I want my tired spirit to soar
I want to hold in my hands the jewels
Of grace and love and want no more
I want to see peace flowing forward
In a mighty torrent, a roaring flood
I want to hear the songs of ancients
Pounding through veins like blood
I want to have a heart not-heavy
Whose burdens are always being laid down
For a yoke and burden that's easy
I want to be part of the earth so brown
To have the dirt between my toenails
To hold the sapling in my soul
To say, "These are my roots, these mountains"
To feel this peace and in it grow old.

No comments:

Post a Comment