23 April 2012

3 yrs!

Today has been a rather productive day so far. I washed my sheets, did some tidying, sorted and brought out my recycling, printed a pattern for a hat I'm going to knit, went for a walk, rearranged my room into a formation unlike anything I've ever done before, balanced my budget... and it's only one o'clock! I've got plenty more that I hope to accomplish, but I'm taking a slight break right now to post here and make a phone call or two.

In my working today, I came across a revelation: it has been over three years since the last time I shaved my legs! As I recall, it was April of my freshman year of college when I last shaved, and little did I know that I was embarking on a journey from hairlessness and frenetic shaving to soft legs and a calmer, more confident mindset. I don't even think about shaving anymore - a shaver is no longer even something that I have in my possession (that stopped after I left it home while studying abroad). In fact, now I see women without hair on their legs and my first thought is, "how strange?"

Three years of not shaving means that I've probably saved myself at least $12 a year in razors/blades, and I've taken myself out of the production cycle of those - which end up in the landfill and nowhere else. Not since I quit have I had a single accidental razor cut on my legs, nor has my razor roughed up my knees to the point that they were dry and scaly. (Actually, my knees are nice, soft, and smooth these days!) I've probably saved countless gallons of water from being wasted, as I usually shaved in the shower, and countless minutes (probably hours) of my time as well!

I have to say that I'm loving it. I don't regret the decision to stop shaving one bit, and I feel zero pressure to ever start - it just doesn't make any sense to me to shave! Not when I can be completely comfortable in my skin the way God made it.

Special thanks to Julie Giss: without her encouragement and example, I probably would not have made it through that first, crucial year, on the path to natural, unshaven legs. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment