04 April 2012

Of New Shoes and Sunday Songs

That's right: after almost 5 years, I finally bought a new pair of running shoes. Those poor old Pumas were so run-down, worn out by age more than anything else, and had deviated from my minimalist shoe trends years ago. This new pair is from the Merrell Barefoot Collection, and I'm excited to see how they work out. I'd been interested in these since they came out before I went to Botswana, having long since decided that I wanted a minimalist running shoe, and it wasn't until I saw my friend here, Shannon, slipping on a pair and heard her rave review that I finally decided it was time to get one. For the first time, I went online and bought a pair from some online website that had closeout shoes... this color, "acacia" (a pale-ish yellow with the slightest tint of green to it), is no longer being made. I saved $40, and bought these shoes for about the same price as a cheap pair from Shoe Carnival would've cost. So, now I've officially dipped my feet (somewhat literally) in the dark side of online shopping (with the exception of Amazon books, because I feel like every college student does that now, no matter what).

The second bit of news is that my wish was granted, my prayer answered, and I have this coming, Easter Sunday, off of work. Along with the two days following. Can you say weekend? I'm thinking of going to Cottonwood for the weekend, and possibly driving over the mountains to Prescott, where they opened a Trader Joe's last month. But whatever happens the rest of the weekend, I'm excited for Sunday in and of itself. Easter has long been a "big deal" holiday for me. I find it more important than Christmas, and I take it very seriously. Last year I was staying at a hostel in a Reformed Church village compound on the edge of the Kalahari Desert. This year, I'm going to wake up early for the Sunrise Service (a new and exciting event for me!), then go to the regular church service where I will sing in the choir cantata, then - and here's the best part - I've been invited to share Easter dinner with Shannon and her family! I am so honored and excited that she's invited me over, and I am really looking forward to it. Easter is a family holiday for me - always has been - and frankly I was a bit saddened that I was going to be alone on Easter. But now, praise God, I've been given a friend in this town who not only likes to get together for cinnamon rolls and random movie nights, but is also willing to invite me in to join her family for my second favorite holiday of the year!

I am so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment