27 April 2012

Another one bites the dust

One down, two (or three) to go. Books, that is. I finished reading "The Man Who Quit Money" this morning. It wasn't quite what I had expected, and although I was tempted to throw it out about halfway through, the book redeemed itself, and I have to say that I am now a follower of Daniel Suelo's blog. The whole concept of living without money altogether is rather fascinating - here I have often caught myself desiring to live with less, but to check out of the monetary system altogether! It's certainly an interesting philosophy, and I am impressed by this guy's ability to live it out (and am curious to know how many other people are actually doing this in the modern world). I can't say that I've never thought about it, actually, because often I embraced the "traditional economy" when everyone carved a living for themselves and communities seemed to help their members without reward but simply knowing that those they helped would just as freely help them if they had the opportunity or ability.

Obviously, I can't live without money right now: I have several thousand dollars in student loans to pay off. But I have to say that this book has given me some hope for the future. I don't exactly know where my life path is taking me, but this book, as a slightly more tortured follow-up to "The Irresistible Revolution", I think is going to have a pretty big impact on my thought processes in this next stage of my life.

Now I have to finish reading Stephen Lawhead's "Scarlet", and Che Guevara's "Notas del viaje", with a rendering of "To Kill a Mockingbird" looking slightly more possible at this rate. Three and a half weeks remain. I acquired a really awesome Forest Service poster - "Arid Lands // Sacred Waters" it says, with really neat artwork. It'll make a good decoration both here and at Bodie. I think I ought to pick up one of those document tubes like Bekah always had so that I don't crinkle it in transition. I bought a bottle of kelly green RIT dye (they didn't have the dark green I was hoping for) and will soon be spot-checking it in an attempt to dye my carhartts green and keep me from having to buy a new pair of pants for my work at Bodie. I'm real nervous about it, so we'll see how that goes.

I was hoping to go to Tucson this coming weekend, but it doesn't look like Caitlin is going to be available (or her roommates for that matter), so I guess I'll be sticking around town here. I suppose its better that way anyhow: the temperature and the gas prices are only going up around here. But every weekend I hang out here is another weekend that I struggle with the temptation to start packing. Oi vey.

I've been getting up earlier and going to bed earlier than ever before lately. It feels good - I get a lot done in the mornings and am not rushed in the slightest bit. Then my evenings I'm more productive because I know I don't have a lot of time before I go to bed. The goal at hand for this is to get up early and ride my bike to Tuzigoot on Sunday morning. Should be good. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment