14 April 2012

Homemade Cereal - The Follow-up

So, after my first success in making my own milk and cereal, I decided to try and expand my repertoire. That is, I shook things up a bit in the recipe. For those who were wondering what recipe I used, it can be found here.


I have yet to actually make it exactly according to the recipe. Maybe someday. :)

Today I went to Mount Hope Foods here in Cottonwood after work and picked up just under a pound of blue corn meal, organic yellow corn meal, and sprouted brown rice flour. Yum, yum, yum! If you're referencing the recipe, I put each of these in the mix in place of the "bran flour". Yes, I could've bought bran flour, but that wouldn't have been nearly as fun! Nor as colorful! I did four batches (and did separate the dough before "rolling out" this time) - one wheat/blue corn, one wheat/yellow corn, one wheat/brown rice, and one all brown rice.



For those who are experienced in gluten-free baking, you will not be surprised to know that my brown rice flour batch pretty much crumbled. In fact, I'd be surprised if there are actually any whole pieces left in the mix. - That's right, I mixed them all up. I made a gluten-free cereal and mixed it with all the others. Oh well. But I look forward to experimenting with all the other myriad combinations I can come up with for this cereal recipe. Particularly, I want to obtain some graham flour (holler to my NPU buddies!!!) and make some graham cereal. Mmmm!!!!!

I have to say that making my own cereal is the most fun. Ever. And even though I did 4 batches this time, it only took me about an hour and a half. The real test is to see how many breakfasts this will get me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment