30 April 2011

The Final Countdown!

That's right, I've now got 10 days left before I leave Bots! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
(did you get the full range of mixed emotions in that one?)

I just got back from probably my last venture out to Main Mall. It was very successful. Perhaps a bit too successful. I owe Kourtney about P95 now, but hey, as soon as I get the refund from the cultural dinner that never happened, I'll be able to pay her back, and I won't even have to go to the ATM again before I leave here! I am completely finished getting presents for my family members, and trinkets for my friends (after a whole day going into just about EVERY store in the Station!!), and I've only got to buy a few food articles for pre-departure consumption and to take home with me, and I'll be done! Oh, and the cost of the shared taxi to the airport. That won't be cheap, but I'll have to set something aside for that too. :)

I'm staring down the barrel of next week and all the exams it brings. Tuesday is Setswana, Wednesday is Afro-Caribbean Lit, and Friday is my two hardest ones: my history exam (Growth, Policy, and Poverty in Africa, Latin America, South and Southeast Asia), and my Principles of Ecology exam. The history one is going to require actual preparation on my part. I'm going to prepare info/outlines for probably 4 possible essays so that I have the facts and figures ready to go when I go in to write the exam. Hopefully I'll be able to remember them all! Eek!

But Friday night will be amazing, because Chimo is going to plait my hair again, and so we'll probably have a little hang-out party in our room. Perhaps I should put out an open invitation on Facebook... we'll see. I mean, we'll be at it all night, so, I don't see why not! I decided that I'm not going to try and throw a goodbye party for the choir. I felt awkward asking other people to plan a party for me (self-centered?), and when I got to thinking about it, I realized that it would be fun until it started to die down and I had to start actually saying goodbye to everyone. I think I prefer the end-of-the-year fade out rather than having to actually say 'goodbye' to everyone. Maybe I'll regret not seeing them all together one last time, but I think it'll just be easier this way.

I actually started packing today. Just a little bit. I've got a packing list for my carry-on so that I can make sure I have everything I'll need in Chicago at-the-ready and won't need to go searching through my checked bags - especially considering that there is always a chance that my checked bags won't make it to Chicago when I do... So I put the trinkets for my friends, a few shirts that I bought here but haven't worn (so that I'll smell nice and new when they see me!:), my shorts (I figure I won't wear them again before I leave since it's cooling off and I wore pants most of the semester anyway), and zipped it up and put it back in the closet. That's all for today.

I've got little countdowns on the sticky notes on my desk wall: counting down the number of apples I have left, the number of oranges, the number of dill pickles; checking off that every day I am doing a little bit of laundry, reading my Bible, trying to study like a normal person, tidying up in my room and throwing away or setting aside things as I see fit. I'm trying hard not to really start packing until next weekend, but when there's so little else to do... it's difficult. Still, I'm figuring out things I can give away, and after the next time I do laundry I'll count out all my shirts and pack the ones that I don't need to wear before I go. Soon I'll be laying out my traveling clothes so that I make sure I don't wear them on accident before I leave. Within the next week I'll finish off my facewash and mouthwash and toothpaste and deodorant and throw them all away so I don't have to pack them.

But at this point I think that I'm rambling. I've gone on for quite a bit, and frankly none of it is all that interesting. So I'm going to call it a day, and stop typing. :) Besides, I have other things I should be doing, don't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment